Friday, October 21, 2011

A Note from Home

from Laura
This week has been a LONG week. I’ve had something to do every day after school, and it’s mostly been something draining. Wednesday and Thursday evenings, we had something to do after the stuff after school, so we didn’t get home until past 9:00 either night. (Given that we’re generally getting ready for bed by 9 or so, these were late nights after long days.) Wednesday’s evening activity turned into the worst Manila evening we’ve had in quite a while. We reached Friday drained in every way.
This was scary to me. I can teach when exhausted, though it’s no fun—I’ve done it before. But Friday afternoon (today) was the first of several meetings that will stretch me in faith and ministry. There is a group of girls who have been struggling with a number of interpersonal clashes. The counselors and chaplains decided to put together some time for this group to name their problems, learn some conflict resolution skills, and pursue a new level of peace with one another. Because I know almost all of the girls and have had good relationships with them, I am one of the adults helping with this process. This is a big deal. These meetings have potential for much good within this group, but, as with anything about interpersonal clashes, it’s complicated and tricky, and things can go south with frightening ease. I am out of my depth, in terms of training. This will stretch me, and it was NOT something I wanted to do when I was drained. So, scary.
I was distracted most of the day, and praying rather desperately with every other thought. In the afternoon, I got my sub plans in order and left my classroom nice and early. On my way to the meeting room, I passed the mailboxes and, out of habit, I looked in ours. And look! An envelope! I laughed—because this is God all over. It was a card from a community group at our sending church, Elk Grove Baptist Church. They just wanted us to know they were praying for us “today.” For us, and our ministry, and those precious children. “Be encouraged,” they said. J So I was.
The meeting went well. I didn’t have much to do with that, though I did my part. I know Who was doing the work. Through His Body in multiple locations, praying and writing and talking and listening, God started a process that can bring healing to students, as they keep letting Him in to work. Please pray for those girls, whom God loves so much.
Thank you, EGBC home, for sending us into our work today. Thank you for letting God use your prayers and your words in your handwriting to lift us up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment