Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Tropical Moment...


… while doing dishes yesterday morning.
            Recently, we bought a few tall plastic cups for everyday uses like having water with us anywhere in the house. They’re nice, though we broke one already by giving it to Kaitlyn, who dropped it with enough violence to crack a piece off the bottom. (Note to self: Plastic does NOT equal unbreakable or child friendly.)
The other night, I had been using one of those cups for water, and I put it by the sink before we went upstairs to bed. I wasn’t worried about bugs in a dirty cup, since it had only contained water. The supper dishes were clean, and this one could wait for the morning.
After breakfast the next day, I worked on the bowls and spoons and such. I picked up that cup from the night before, stuck my soapy sponge inside, and nearly had a heart attack as something dark and quick came slithering out! I practically threw the cup and sponge into the sink and (mostly) repressed the urge to scream.
A moment’s closer inspection relieved me, though, when I realized that the dark thing was a butiki, one of the small lizards that run around on the walls of our house. We like them because they eat bugs. This one was quite small—only about 2 inches long.  It must have been in the glass drinking the last bits of water from the night before. Having scared me half to death, it dashed into the sink (presumably so it could continue to get in the way of me doing dishes). I left it alone, and a few minutes later it worked its way back onto the counter and then out of sight. No harm done, but I have learned to check the insides of dishes before I try to wash them!

No comments:

Post a Comment