Saturday, April 24, 2010

Some Thoughts About Passion

from Seth

I recently re-watched a movie called Gattaca.  In addition to its insightful look into a frighteningly possible future, the movie provides a fascinating perspective of what it looks like for a person to have genuine, single-minded passion.  Vincent, the main character, has just one dream, a dream that he has had since he was a little boy.  His dream is to become an astronaut, to visit other planets, to see what the universe looks like from somewhere other than the surface of Earth. Unfortunately, he finds himself in the disadvantaged situation of having a poor genetic prognosis.  He is expected to die by age 30.  Who would invest massive amounts of time and money into training an astronaut who would be dead that early?  Despite this setback, however, Vincent never gives up on his dream.  He pours all of his heart and soul and life into pursuing this dream, and eventually he succeeds. (If you want more details, rent the movie.) :)  He gave this one dream everything he had.  From the time he got up in the morning, until the time he went to bed at night, everything he did was aimed at realizing his dream. 

After I finished watching this movie, I got to thinking about that kind of passion.  How often do we see Christians who live their lives with this kind of passion?  How often do we see followers of Christ who believe so strongly in the value of obeying Him that they live every minute of every day in pursuit of His will?  And how much more important, how much more lasting, are God’s purposes for each of His children, as compared with Vincent’s dream of being an astronaut?   

Even so, when I find myself waking up in the morning, only rarely is Jesus the first thing on mind.  Only rarely is opening my Bible at the top of my list of things to do during the day.  And even as I engage in matters directly related to my desire to follow His will, I find that I am not always focused on Him and what He wants me to be learning from any given situation.  Shame on me!  I have a thousand times more reasons to pursue God with all my heart and mind and soul than Vincent had to pursue his dreams!  So what holds me back?  Why do I not give him everything I have and more? 

I’m afraid I do not yet have an answer.  But what I can say is this: the past is over and gone.  It cannot be changed.  The future, however, is yet to be seen; it most certainly CAN be changed, by the decisions I choose to make.  I pray that God will give me the strength and passion to follow Him as best I can in everything I do, everyday.  Who knows?  Perhaps one day I will get a glimpse of what it is like to live with the kind of passion that Vincent showed in Gattaca.

No comments:

Post a Comment