Wednesday, January 16, 2013

God bless the inventor of the baby monitor...


I had no idea how crucial a baby monitor is to a mom’s sanity. I know there were many years where moms didn’t have them. I begin to wonder how they managed it. In this apartment, the bedrooms are upstairs; everything else is downstairs. This means that whenever Kaitlyn is sleeping, she’s upstairs and most of the stuff that I need to do is downstairs. The bathroom, stove, and washing machine are all downstairs and around several corners—the farthest possible place from the bedrooms. If I’m there, I can’t hear my daughter unless she gets really upset and starts yelling… I have climbed those stairs to check on her SO many times in the last week. I spend my time on tenterhooks, anxious about whether she’s waking up or unhappy. To add to the challenge, the neighbors also have a baby. Not surprisingly, sometimes their baby cries! So when a baby cries, I freeze and try to figure out whose baby is upset. It’s been a stressful time!

The first half of our boxes arrived today, and the baby monitor was in one of them! I was terribly excited all day that I would be able to use it tomorrow. We have many wonderful and useful things in those boxes (pots and pans, favorite books, dishes, pictures, a carseat, etc.), but it was the baby monitor that was on my mind! Then when we got it out, we discovered that it only works on 110 current… and the Philippines uses 220. :P So I will NOT be using a monitor tomorrow. But a transformer has just been added to our urgent list of things to buy, and hopefully I’ll be set for NEXT week, at least.

Update- 1/22- We did buy a transformer this weekend, and charged the monitor. Monday morning, I took a shower in peace and calm, actually knowing that Kaitlyn was sleeping happily, rather than just hoping she was. And life is better!

1 comment:

  1. yay! we LOVE monitors and they are super helpful. Used ours in the PI too! and we know how it is with the neighbors' baby - i was constantly trying to tell the cries apart!

    ReplyDelete